EdSource: 12 Education Bills to Watch
Wondering which education bills you should be monitoring? EdSource’s John Fensterwald has put out an excellent list of legislation moving forward in Sacramento. It includes:
- A bill for later school start times (SB 328)
- A crackdown on vaccine loopholes (SB 276)
- A bill to raise the level of base funding under the Local Control Funding Formula (AB 39)
- A $13 billion school facilities bond measure for the 2020 ballot (AB 48)
- A new ethnic studies requirement (AB 331)
- New educator maternity leave requirements (AB 500)
- A number of bills affecting charter schools (AB 1505, AB 1507, and AB 967)
- Optional SAT/ACT testing in the 11th grade (AB 751)
- Additional mental health services in schools (AB 8)
- A crackdown on the hiring of inexperienced teachers through third-party contractors for low-income schools (AB 221)
All of these bills have passed one branch of the Legislature and would need to receive a signature or veto from the governor by Oct. 13.
For a breakdown, including bill summaries and status, visit EdSource.