Money Magazine Ranked the Best Colleges by Value and California is All Over This List
When it comes to college, quality education is key. But a big part of that — if not the biggest part — is the monetary payoff: the job, the internship, the pay raise. The higher the tuition, the bigger those payoffs better be.
Money Magazine had that in mind when it created its latest list of the best colleges in the U.S. It ranked them in terms of value.
“We estimate a college's 'value added' by calculating its performance on important measures such as graduation rates, student loan repayment and default rates, and post-graduation earnings, after adjusting for the types of students it admits," Money explains.
Here are the top 10 winners:
1. University of California, Irvine (Irvine, CA)
2. CUNY Bernard M. Baruch College (New York, NY)
3. Princeton University (Princeton, NJ)
4. University of California, Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)
5. University of California, Davis ( Davis, CA)
6. Stanford University (Stanford, CA)
7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)
8. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor, MI)
9. University of California, San Diego (La Jolla, CA)
10. University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA
Other California colleges that made the top 25 are UC Berkeley (#11), University of California, Riverside (#12), Cal State Long Beach (#13), California Institute of Technology (#16), and Cal State Fullerton (#22).
For full rankings and methodology, click here.
Data is compiled and reported by Money Magazine.