Police Thwart School Shooting at Los Angeles Middle School
Another possible school shooting has been thwarted by Southern California authorities, according to the Los Angeles Times.
A 13-year-old student and an adult family member were arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats against a South Los Angeles middle school, and an AR-15 rifle and a list of targeted students and staff members were seized at the boy’s home, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials announced Friday.
The threat was made against Ánimo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School in Willowbrook, an independent charter school where the Los Angeles School Police Department does not have a presence, officials said.
“We want to thank everyone involved because they all did the right thing,” L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said. “Because of that, we were able to prevent a possible tragedy today.”
Things could have been very different were it not for the actions of fellow students who brought the threats to school staffers’ attention.
In addition to a rifle with high-capacity magazine and 100 rounds of ammunition, police found a list of names and a hand-drawn map at the suspect’s home. It’s not clear who the adult relative is.
Authorities have been fielding numerous threats since a school shooting that left two students in Santa Clarita dead on Nov. 14. Since then, police have responded to at least 36 shooting threats at California schools. On Thursday, another arrest was carried out in Visalia where a Redwood High School student was accused of planning to shoot a peer.