Los Angeles County Schools Told to Prepare for Another Shutdown
Los Angeles County health officials have warned public and private schools to brace for more closures if COVID-19 cases continue to rise.
“I need to ask that every school be prepared for virtual learning, distance learning, in January,” Health Officer Barbara Ferrer said Thursday. “I hope we never get to the point where our healthcare system is so compromised and so threatened that we have to look backwards in time to severe restrictions and additional closures, but I don’t want to rule it out.”
L.A. Unified officials had hoped to return to live instruction as soon as January. But if the current trend continues, they may have to reset expectations. Another hard shutdown for public and private schools is a possibility.
California surpassed one million cases last week. That was followed by a troubling surge in L.A. County over the weekend. L.A. reported 3,780 new cases Saturday, the highest one-day total since the mid-summer peak. The next day, officials recorded another 3,061 cases.