Students Return To Class Amid Gas Leak
Nearly 2,000 students in the Porter Ranch area of Los Angeles came back from winter break to different schools. The children were reassigned to different schools after a methane gas leak forced them to leave for health reasons.
Students from the Los Angeles Unified School District, the nation's second-largest public school system, reported having headaches, bloody noses, nausea, and breathing irritations as a result of the October gas leak. Southern California Gas Co said it could take until March for the leak to be fully fixed.
While methane is not considered toxic, county health officials believe the symptoms are a result of the odorant added to natural gas.
This is the biggest methane gas leak in the state’s history, and is accounting for about 25 percent of the state’s total methane emissions
At the start of the year, Gov. Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency and earlier this week legislation was introduced to have a moratorium on new injections of natural gas into the site of the leak until authorities can audit it for safety.
Classes resumed Tuesday.
Read more at Reuters