California’s Best Elementary and Middle Schools
U.S. News & World Report has published a list of the best elementary and middle schools in the United States and California landed more mentions than any other state.
U.S. News & World Report ranked 5,534 elementary schools and 2,319 middle schools in California. U.S. News published rankings and data for more than 80,000 in its report.
“The methodology for the brand-new rankings focuses on two areas: math and reading proficiency, or how well students perform on state assessments, and math and reading performance, or how well they perform compared to expectations,” according to a press release. “Based on data from the U.S. Department of Education, the Best K-8 Schools rankings only include public schools. The state assessment data used in the rankings is from the 2018-2019 school year and therefore pre-dates the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on test-taking.”
The top 5 elementary schools in California were:
- North Star Academy - Redwood City Elementary
- La Jolla Elementary - San Diego Unified
- William Faria Elementary - Cupertino Union
- Manchester Gate - Fresno Unified
- White Oaks Elementary - San Carlos Elementary
The top 5 middle schools in California were:
- Petaluma Accelerated Charter - Petaluma Joint Union High
- Whitney (Gretchen) High - Abc Unified
- Science Academy Stem Magnet - Los Angeles Unified
- Oxford Academy - Anaheim Union High
- Elkhorn - Lodi Unified
See rankings here.
List and data were compiled by U.S. News & World Report and do not reflect statistics on all schools.